Again, I attending the taping of the show on Wednesday, and then sat with my laptop writing this while I watched the show. The taping was great. It went quickly, and the crew made the set changes efficiently. There were only a few pickups as well, which left plenty of time for me to have dinner with my brother and Denver from Denver & the Mile High Orchestra after the show.
With only one band going home, I was fairly confident my personal favorite would be ok. But then again, there were a fans of a really good band very disappointed. One of the (technically) best bands in the competition was sent home. I personally feel it was due to their performance last week. It was uninspiring, and sloppy when compared to the bar that they set for themselves the first couple of weeks. Good bye Franklin Bridge, and good luck.
The first band up was...
Light of Doom
This song was very loud live, and inarticulate. In person, you couldn't hear the guitar solo, which sounded better on TV. However, you couldn't hear the vocals either in the taping. On television they sounded horrible. It's almost a good enough excuse for what the judges said, or rather, the lack of what they said.
When Sheila talks about playing fast, what she should have said, is "I can't play with so many random tempo changes." Dicko eluded to something, without having the courage to really say it. "I still think it's going to end in tears recording-wise." How true. There is virtually no market for this band, and the show can't afford them to win. It will delegitimizes the competition, turning it into a joke.
I will say this, they were better live. The energy didn't translate to TV, and the problems (especially with the vocal pitch and tempo) were not so obvious.
If you haven't read my previous post about parenting, please do. It was inspired by the Light of Doom parents.
Clark Brothers
Another performance that came across better live than on TV. It sounded a lot thicker in person. The vocals were awesome and passionate. It felt like they were digging down into their Pentecostal Roots and drawing it out for a song that fit them like a glove.
However, the arrangement was a touch thin. I'm chalking it up to instrumentation mostly. But, the guitars were moving so fast (and very well) that it got tiresome on the ears. The violin solo didn't sound finished, it was well executed, but disjointed going into the dobro solo. It feels like they are trying to cram all of their talent into something that can't quite contain them.
There is no doubt about their musicality, some of the best on the show, and a band that (unlike Light of Doom) validates what the show is all about.
Dot Dot Dot
Dot Dot Dot is getting more polished as time goes by. They are one of the bands put together, basically, for the show. So there was room for improvement. It's good that they are showing growth, and have the ability to pull it off.
Toning down the eccentricity has helped with their polarizing nature. They are showing that they deserve to be in the competition. I don't know how much further they will go, but they're earning their keep.
Cliff Wagner & the Old No. 7
The performance was way better than last week. It was tight, punchy and had a good groove going. However, after the first verse and chorus I was done listening. It could be personal, I'm not really sure. I wasn't as familiar with the song, and didn't really enjoy it. Dicko was right again, the song wasn't inspiring. Where I was seated, I couldn't see how disappointed they looked after his comments. I felt bad for them after seeing it in HD.
The song was arranged well, and ended great. Again, I'm not sure if they will make it through next week.
Denver & the Mile High Orchestra
This song had some of the best drumming they have ever done, and, I dare say, the best feel that has been performed yet on the show. Yes, every bit on par with what Franklin Bridge did their first week. The groove was tight, the horns slamming, and, unlike during the live show's mix, the key's came through really well.
Unfortunately, Rzeznik showed how ignorant he is. First off, it wasn't funk. It's groove was so good, that it could be mistaken for such, but it wasn't. It was also the thinnest horn arrangement the band has had for the entire competition. Yet this was the only time he commented on the horns "outshining" him. Of course, keep in mind, that early in the competition Dicko or Sheila said to make more use of the horns.
Dicko, Dicko, Dicko... perhaps you could think of something original to say. Two weeks ago you said, "Build your brand". Last week you said, "try something new". This week you said (after they tried something new), "Build your brand." Are you out of things to say? Or has the musicality of Light of Doom blinded you?
Sixwire
This performance was their weakest so far. The bgv's at the top of the song were out of tune, and, while the band played well, there was a lack of conviction.
The show is coming down to the bands who are willing to stick it out (assuming they get the votes). It did feel like they were just going through the motions. Wow, Rzeznik had it right. By this point it was becoming obvious that the best bands were getting the hardest comments.
However, the song ended very strong. Great, Great guitar solo.
Tre's Bien
These guys are fun to watch live, but it doesn't translate at all to television. The vocals were all over the place, sounding out of breath, and out of tune at times.
Any song would have been a good selection for these guys from this series, and this was another one that I wasn't very familiar with. I think Sheila's comments about them having their own cartoon was appropriate. It was goofy at times.
There were a lot more comments from the judges that were cut out. It was tough because they appeared to be up against Franklin Bridge, and were surprised themselves to get through. The judges (honorably) took some time to remind the studio audience that Tre's Bien didn't necessarily beat out Franklin Bridge directly. They needed just as much energy from the crowd as every other band, in spite of the shock of Franklin Bridge going home.
Next Week
I've heard some rumors that if Denver & the Mile High Orchestra are still in it next week, they will be pulling out all the stops. Yes, they have more to show than we've already seen. Let's hope we see them again. I'll be out at the show to give my A/B comparisons again next week! Stay tuned...
1 comment:
LOD has the 10 year old vote, but anyone with a little age (read: perspective) can tell this band is the opposite of what great music is all about--originality, talent, etc. Arrgh! Man, I would have LOVED to hear a full version of the Clark Bros song (or a whole concert--maybe with a bass). The "I'm saved" refrain was bordering on manic on the tv--I think because there's more distance than watching live--I could see getting totally into it in the audience. They are so talented--I have no doubt they'll get a deal from this exposure, regardless (I even gave them 2 votes--don't worry, Clint, DMHO got about 200+). Dot Dot Dot is at least watchable for me now. I can't really criticize them--they are improving, just not my cup of tea style-wise. Cliff Wagner is doing their style well, which you either like or don't. Unfortunately, it's not a blow-your-face-off genre of music. They'd have to showcase some serious musicianship (Banjo solos!) to hang with the Clark Bros. DMHO had a great performance--I loved the groove too. They are so versatile. I think what Dicko is trying to articulate is that a band (unless it's a wedding band or house band) is usually associated with one main style of music. DMHO isn't locking into the exact same sound every week like the other bands. Personally, I love it, but I think that's what he was driving at. If a judge doesn't prefer your band, they'll often fish for something negative to say, regardless, which might be the case with John, if he's giving LOD great reviews and slamming DMHO. And if they love a band, they sometimes give them a pass on an average performance. Sixwire seems to have peaked, and maybe doing the cover songs doesn't allow them to get as tight as with the originals they've rehearsed a hundred times. They don't have the young vibe either. Tres Bien was fun to watch. It's sort of amusing more than musically satisfying. They are such a throw-back to the sixties, it was actually entertaining for me this week. Looking forward to the stops being pulled out for DMHO!!
Post a Comment