Saturday, December 8, 2007

Next Great American Band Taping #7 (Ep8)

It was incredibly difficult not to start writing the moment I snuck out of the taping. But I was good. Besides, there are plenty of places online to get spoilers, and it sort of undermines the show's concept. For those who can't wait, it's ok, especially if you are still going to watch. The show's time slot has been changed in order to increase the number of viewers. I hope it works, because when the show does well, the other bands benefit. Sort of a "Good for the Goose, Good for the Gander" kind of thing. Where would Kelly Clarkson be if American Idol had only 2 million viewers a week, and then was canceled after the first season? I'm not saying that The Next Great American band will be canceled. I don't know. I'm saying that I hope enough people support the show to bring it back.

The Music

This week was Queen week, and to position my comments a little better, I like three of their songs. Bohemian Rhapsody, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. Of course, I own none of them. Quite frankly, I had heard the others performed on the show and didn't know they were by Queen. I'm still not going to buy one of their albums.

And last but not least, AN ORIGINAL!!! We finally, after about five weeks, got to hear original songs. It was obvious to me that this would hurt Light of Doom most, as they do not have the experience or longevity to have a decent catalog to pull from.

What a shake up this week

The Dots are gone! And what a frenzy that caused. All over the 'net people were griping and complaining. Here's the deal, while I have my band I want to win, it comes down to votes. And as unfortunate as it is, that's the way it works. However, a lot of complaints centered around Dot Dot Dot not having an exit interview on the show. I think that was unfortunate. There was no reason to not ask them what their future plans are, or another question along those lines. Adding insult to injury, many more fans for the Dots were in the crowed this evening than any previous show.

The Clarke Brothers

I had a feeling they would play first. They haven't opened the show yet, and with the controversial decision to allow them to add a bass player and drummer, it made sense. The show likes big openers.

Cover: Days of our Lives

  • Vocals: 4. Pitch was pretty good, a few problems here and there. However, for the better part of the song it didn't have as much character as usual, perhaps because of holding the fiddle the entire time. It's interesting to me to note that Sheila didn't make any comments about it, but did to Denver.
  • Tempo: 5. Click track? The best bands use 'em, and these guys were good.
  • Sync: 4.5 Bass and Drums were tight, but they don't quite have the feel of the bands that have more experience playing together. They sounded like session players - very good, but not quite gelled like a band.
  • Arrangement: 3.5 The chorus didn't climax enough. Ashley had to scream to build it, but the instrumentation, being more fleshed out, should have played a bigger role.
  • Presentation: 5. I liked the "Dixie Chix" style. 3 guys with a backing rhythm section. Personally, for me it works, and it did allow Ashley to take a more commanding role.
  • Overall Impression: 4.5. Again, talent. There's nothing holding these guys back but themselves.

Homestead (original)

  • Vocals: 4.5 some pitch problems, but overall pretty good.
  • Tempo: 5. No drift.
  • Sync: 5 much better feel than the cover
  • Arrangement: 4.5 I docked it half a point because I didn't like the solos that much. There were some fiddle pitch problems.
  • Presentation: 5. They hold themselves well.
  • Song: 4. While it had a good hook, it's not going to speak to as broad of an audience as it could. Dicko is right about it being too generically country lyrically.
  • Overall Impression: 4.5.

My take on the two added band members: Well, they aren't really added band members. Just back-up players. If so, they would have been in the green-room with the rest of the bands. There are rumors that they won't be back next week - there will be two different players instead. While I prefer the sound a bit more, I think it lost the intimacy of just the three guys, and it also made them sound more generic and more like Sixwire (even though the instrumentation is different). Splitting the vote with Sixwire could hurt them.

Light of Doom

I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to belabor the point.

Ahh, so much to say.

Cover: We Will Rock You

  • Vocals: 2. I gave them a one, because, while it was the worst performance to date, it was all over the place.
  • Tempo: 1. Directly affecting sync, this was horrendous.
  • Sync 0. no pocket. every band-member to themselves. save yourselves!!!
  • Arrangement 0. The arrangement may have been fine, but it was so poorly executed, it was impossible to tell.
  • Presentation 1. Here's where my heartstrings were pulled. I couldn't give them 0's across the board. Even though this was incredibly cheesy. We didn't have a whole bunch of talent contests in my Jr. High. But this is exactly what I'd imagine it would be like.
  • Overall Impression 1

This song was the longest to tape. The producers really wanted the crowed to be involved in the opening "We will rock you" sequence and rhythm, so they instructed everyone to clap and fist-pump with the band. However, to make sure it was going to work, they had a quick rehearsal with the kids. Immediately, I knew it was going to be a problem. Crowds, when given the chance, will clap faster and faster. The kids, with their lack of experience, immediately start to follow. It got so bad that the music director had to come out and instruct the kids, then the crowd, not to speed up. Imagine how bad it would have been if that hadn't been done? (I'm not going to question whether or not they should have even corrected the kids before they played, as none of the other bands would have been - or would have needed to be.)

One more thing of note, Dicko made a comment along the lines of, "Whoever's idea it was to play those drums, never listen to them again." I'm sure it wasn't the kids who came up with it, and it was a bad idea. Light of Doom has been told to do a lot of cliche' d things, and I don't know who has been coming up with them, but they have finally caught up to them. Playing on the catwalk, walking through the crowed (and giving "hey everybody" hi-fives), sheesh.

A Matter of Time (original)

  • Vocals: 1.
  • Tempo: 1.
  • Sync 2.
  • Arrangement 2.
  • Presentation 3.
  • Song: 1
  • Overall Impression 0.5

    One thing to note, and I won't ramble on here, is that the show didn't tape in order that it aired. We saw the cover, immediately followed by the original, from each band. It made for faster taping. Then the show was edited together to make for a more interesting presentation. That said, I felt bad for the kids. They just got slammed, finally, after being misinformed at every one of their previous performances, and now they have to immediately go into their original and expect to play it there best with no emotional connection to the previous song. They didn't have a chance to decompress and build themselves back into the next song. And while that's true for the other bands, it was definitely harder on the kids. Yet another reason why they should never have been put on the show to begin with.

    Sixwire

    Cover: Fat Bottom Girls

    • Vocals: 5. This is tricky for them. When they really focus on BGV's it can go either way. In weeks past, they have been pitchy. They pulled it off very well today.
    • Tempo: 5. No surprise
    • Sync: 5. Again, tight, great feel, perfect.
    • Arrangement: 5. Great version of this song. I'd actually listen to this.
    • Presentation: 4. While good, not overly inspiring.
    • Overall Impression: 4.5 I went down, maybe half a point here, because now that I've had a little time to think about the performance, it's starting to all run together. Pretty vanilla, but very, very well executed.

    These guys deserve to win this show based on today's performance. They have such a great connection as a band. And that is, after all what this show is about. Right?

    Go On (Original)

  • Vocals: 5.
  • Tempo: 5.
  • Sync: 5. Again, tight, great feel, perfect.
  • Arrangement: 5. Wow
  • Presentation: 4. Same thing, you've seen this all before. Not a whole lot new given to us tonight.
  • Song: 5. I think this song is ready for radio now. While I'm not divorced, we all have friends and family who are. This song is relevant and honest in today's culture.
  • Overall Impression: 5.

    I won't be disappointed, or surprised if Sixwire wins this contest. However, it's not my favorite band in the show.

    Denver & the Mile High Orchestra

    Sitting in the crowed Wednesday, and having to wait until the end (remember that the other three bands had already performed their two songs) was near excruciating. There was a huge contingency of Dot Dot Dot fans in the crowd. They were a clear audience favorite when it came down to the final two. I knew about 12 people in the crowd there specifically to see Denver.

    Cover: Sleeping On the Sidewalk

    • Vocals: 4 - Each week Denver's vocals get more intense. They are smooth, that's his style, and it's not really the style of today. But I'm trying to see past that and understand that his pitch and timing were right on.
    • Tempo: 5. Always solid
    • Sync: 5. The band was as tight and in the pocket.
    • Presentation: 3.5. I was disappointed in the look. It felt sloppy. One thing that was nice, on TV you didn't notice Denver carrying around his trumpet during the song. It was obvious during the show, and the reasons for Sheila's comments.
    • Arrangement: 5. Another positive from Rzeznick. It was a great version of the original.
    • Overall Impression: 4.5

    White House (original)

    • Vocals: 5 - Actually some growl. Great character and good all-around..
    • Tempo: 5. perfect
    • Sync: 5. The band was as tight and in the pocket. Great rock feel, and the band locked right in.
    • Presentation: 4. Better than the cover (loss of the trumpet) but the look still bothered me.
    • Arrangement: 5. This song relied on the arrangement to make it good, because of the three bands that were good today, this was the worst original...
    • Song: 3. Hook? Chorus? Oh wait, there were both of those, but almost non-existent. I could barely remember the song name, which came from the first line of the song, not from the chorus or any other memorable part of the song.
    • Overall Impression: 4. They have a huge catalog of songs to pull from. Why this one?

    I also know that DMHO and Dot Dot Dot have developed a solid friendship over the last couple of months, and it was tough for them to have to sit together as the last two, one of them going to advance. You could see it on the faces of both bands, disappointment. It wasn't the Dot's time to leave. We can all think of at least one band that should be gone already.

    closing

    Well, I have one more trip to make out to LA. I'm looking forward to it, and a bit nervous. I have to believe that Denver & the Mile High Orchestra have made it through, but you never know. I thought Franklin Bridge could win this. We'll see.

    chs.

  • 12 comments:

    musikman said...

    chs- you said that at the taping they had to start over on the LOD cover. Why not show that on TV? Now that would get viewers!

    TomandBecky said...

    I actually felt sorry for LOD too when the judges laid into them seemingly out of nowhere. I had no idea they had to play their next song right away. You know, Simon Cowell from AI always says he's doing people a favor by telling them they're terrible. His argument is that honesty is best in the long run--living with a delusion of talent will catch up to you at some point, and if you've been lied to, what a crushing blow it is when someone finally speaks the truth. On NGAB, the judges did these kids such a disservice by not coming out with these kinds of comments from the get-go. Now the band looks bewildered and confused at the sudden change of heart with their performances. Were they far and away worse this week than before--not really, they've been this bad all along. Looks suspiciously like the judges are getting pressure to oust the kids asap, and are throwing their collective influential weight around. I just hope we won't see some VH1 Behind the Music type tv special when these kids are 35 and washed up drug addicts or something. (sounds cynical, I know) The other three bands I have lots of praise for. Let's hope they're the final three!

    Clear Head Space said...

    I feel sorry for the kids too. I also am a little angry at the people who allowed them to get into this position. The best thing that can happen for them is to be sent home. It's a hard lesson to learn so young, but they have a lot of time. It would also help avoid that whole VH1 you have so clarvoiantly predicted.

    musikman said...

    Tom and Becky, I no longer feel sorry for them. They have been too coddled in the competition so far. They have had others writing their songs, arranging their music, creating their look. Listen; they are children who have been put into a terrible place by over-zealous parents who can't see "the forest for the tress". My hope is that finally the judges comments send them home to some sense of normalcy.

    http://musikthoughts.blogspot.com/

    Clear Head Space said...

    musikman, if that is your real name... I have to disagree with your lack of sympathy a little bit. The kids are too young to know any better. There are two primary lessons to learn:
    1. Potential doesn't equal success.
    2. Not everyone has your best interest at heart.
    I'm not sure it's fair to assume the LOD really understand #2. I think it's easy to let our frustration with those around these talented youngsters to get in the way of compassion. Someone should have had the forsight to step up and say, "These kids aren't ready for this." early in the competition, probably before the auditions (or at least at them), in order to avoid an unnecessary, painful experience. I would have if they had been mine. And, I think you would have too if they had been yours.

    TomandBecky said...

    Musikman--I'm not sorry at all that they are finally getting some reality thrown their way. What I'm sorry about is the way it's handled, along the lines of what Clint's talking about. We have to determine who the real culprit is with this pre-teen heavy metal debacle. When your talking 12 and 13 years olds, my frustration is with the parents, first and foremost, as well as the other adults involved, including the judges. I don't even know if the group can be put through the Mousekateer marketing machine to target 8-12 year olds, when the genre they're attempting is so harsh, and hardly uplifting or positive for the age group. Metal sounds angry to me. Where's the inspiration going to come from if they write a song? Santa didn't bring me an Xbox for Christmas? Fundamentally, they can't pull this style off authentically at this age, nor should they be able to. Hopefully they leave taking something positive from the experience. Hopefully the parents learn something too.

    Clear Head Space said...

    Well said.

    musikman said...

    Ok, ok. Here's what I'll do. I will save my sympathy for the band members whose livelihoods are at stake while the childrens parents and the TV producers continue to exploit the kids at the expense of the professional musicians left in the field.
    Kids are profoundly resilient. The disappointment they experienced on the show last week WILL ULTIMATELY help them become better musicians and people. Plus it will be forgotten within a month of going back to school and spending time with their friends. The musicians of dot,dot,dot, Tres Bien and FB did not get nearly the exposure as the kiddies did and it was much more deserved.

    TomandBecky said...

    Yes, yes, Musikman, I see your point about the hard-working legitimate bands who are paying the price for the LOD disaster. Fair enough. I don't think it has to be a black and white issue though--hate LOD, love the other 'real' musicians. While LOD's music is a joke, and the parents should be ashamed, I can't lump the kids into the same category. I see being in a metal band on national prime time television as a defining life moment for these kids, and would hate for their direction in life to take a dive as the backlash from their 'success' grows when they oust more deserving bands, or, if they do dip into the real music scene they will be exposed to a bunch of crap. (Any good heavy metal role models springing to mind?) Guess I'm feeling some of the protective instinct I wish their parents felt for them. I remember age 12 and 13, and I'm not sure this experience will be as easy to brush off as you think. I'll stay tuned for a 'Where Are They Now?' type tv special in the coming years. :-)

    Anonymous said...

    Would someone please tell me why Sheila can say she doesn't think she should even be watching LOD play w/o shirts on, but then she's hanging out all over the place in many of the outfits she's worn....and THEY are seeing HER!!??

    I didn't like them going shirtless, either. (Once again, where are their parents heads at?) But, she's hypocritical. I don't think they should be subjected to seeing her, either.

    dede blunt said...

    I just stumbled on this blog as a fan of NGAB and I wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your posts and found myself pretty much agreeing with what you said. I wish more people did watch this show because Fox is very trigger happy when it comes to pulling new shows and if it wasn't for the strike and the fact that 19 Entertainment is behind it, they might have pulled it this year.

    I hope that the best bands make it to the final and that you enjoy the taping on Sunday. I couldn't get anyone to go with me or you would have seen me there as well.

    Thanks for writing!

    Clear Head Space said...

    Yesterday Sheila turned 50. I haven't commented on what she wears because, quite frankly, she looks good, and I don't really care. The reality is that I'm a guy, and I do notice, but would only have a problem if she didn't have the physique to pull off most of what she's had on. (Perhaps one day I'll mature beyond that). She's an adult, and she's able to make decisions based on a lifetime of experience. The kids however, have no idea what exactly they were going for. To them, it was all about copying their (or their parent's) favorite bands.

    Also, I've been at every taping. She has her back to where I've always sat, and on TV, I'm too focused on the bands, and to a lesser degree, hearing if they cut anything out of the judges comments. I've already heard what they've said.

    I did have two women comment about her dress last week to me in person. Why do you suppose that is?
    chs