Friday, October 19, 2007

Next Great American Band

While I typically shy away from the American Idol/Do You Have Talent? type of shows, I did catch most of The Next Great American Band tonight. I couldn't help myself, a number of bands where from Nashville, (where I call home) so I thought I'd give it a shot.

First, a disclaimer and diatribe on bias. I have bias. In fact, in the case of The Next Great American Band, I have a major bias. It has always bothered me when a writer, reporter, speaker delivers their impression or take on a topic as if they have no opinion on it. I'm not sure that is even possible, given that we are human, and as humans, emotional beings. I may not have a "dog in the hunt" if you will when it comes to a specific story or event, but I have a bias based on my exposure and life experiences. I apologize for getting off course, but, in the interest of honesty (and avoiding hypocrisy), let me tell you up front that I am a huge Denver & the Mile High Orchestra fan. How can I not be? My brother is their drummer. I want to be fair about this competition, but I also want DMHO to win. That said, let's get on with it.

I had a few friends over and we laughed and yelled and were fairly happy with the way Nashville was represented. Of course, when Denver & the Mile High Orchestra appeared we all started yelling, screaming and cheering.

I really got into Franklin Bridge, and hope they go far. But a band is very personal. I would listen to them, but I'm not sure if they will have the versatility to cover a whole bunch of styles. (Yet, is that what we - Americans - really want? We probably want one or two styles we really like).

I saw the "I'm A Believer" version that Denver & the Mile High Orchestra did online, but it didn't' air. The song they showed tonight was an original, and it was hot, but it really sounded edited. Check out their stuff here. I know they have the versatility to do a ton of styles, but it remains to be seen if we - Americans - have the capacity to listen to arrangements with that much depth. As a musician who studied jazz in college, I feel like I get it. I WANT to see them do well, if only to validate what they are doing.

Next week... more on The Next Great American Band. Perhaps I'll be more critical.... The problem that the show has now is the bands that get the "rubber - neckers" who like to sit back and watch a good train wreck are now off the show. I happen to be one of them. My baser self for some reason enjoys watching others make absolute fools of themselves. I suppose that's something for me to work on.

till next time...
chs

1 comment:

musikman said...

Don't worry about seeing train wrecks. My guess is that at least two are on your way. The kiddie group and dot, dot, dot are sure to please with the potential carnage; that's only true if you are "base" enough to enjoy 13 year olds crashing.