Friday, October 26, 2007

NGAB Live Taping - The Bands

Denver & the Mile High Orchestra

Awesome with their Dylan cover - in spite of it being a "happy blues" tune. I think it will resonate well with the audience. The original, One Time Show - available on their album, STAND was well done, but too short (of course, the show requires that) and the horns did need to come down front sooner. GREAT JOB!

The Hatch

Not bad, but a touch boring. A friend just sent me a text that was fairly accurate - "like the wiggles meets rock." Technically not bad, and a lot of potential. Hopefully they'll stay in it and improve.

Light of Doom

They shouldn't even be in this. Dicko was right on. It's disgusting. Now, yes FOR 13, their good - not original, but good. But they have so much time to get better, and then they'll actually rock.

The Likes of You

A very mature sound for being together for 5 months. I like these guys, and briefly met the drummer and lead singer. Nice guys. I do agree... too much falsetto. I'd probably buy one of their records.

Rocket

Rocket, again has potential, but I have to think there are better all-girl bands out there. They aren't very tight, and their tone needs quite a bit of work. They have improved since their Vegas audition. I thought they were better in person, but seeing it on TV opened it up and pointed out the flaws. The lead singer really does need to hit it harder, they look like they want to be intense, which is great, now they just need to play like it.

Cliff Wagner & the Old No. 7

A pretty good bluegrass band. But like Denver & the Mile High Orchestra, I hope that their style doesn't get in the way too much. The style is very polarizing, and can interfere with people's impression of their talent as a band. Vocally Cliff was a bit pitchy - even for bluegrass. The reality is the style allows for some "sloppiness", but there is an art to it, and he almost has it.

One thing that didn't make it to TV was that they needed to tune. It took too long for a live performance.

The Muggs

Yes, vocally, he needs to be more aggressive. And it's cool. It would fit better with the sounds these guys get out of just three instruments. I dug them. They had a good groove happening. I ran into these guys at a restaurant after the show and they were very cool, really friendly. I like that - it makes the band easier to like.

The Clark Brothers

Another band that had to take time tuning. These guys are really talented, but I really miss a rhythm section. I can't help but imagine how awesome they'd be with drums and bass. This is another band I really hope stays in the competition

for a while... they are really, really good at what they do.

Tre's Bien

It didn't sound like they really wanted to do the Dillon cover. Personally, I don't like the sound of the lead singer's voice, but I DO like their concept and look. I don't see them lasting long, it's just not exciting enough, and honestly it was better live, so the TV audience doesn't really see them in their best light. (Recordings often show weaknesses better than experiencing things live.) Tre's Bien had the unfortunate slot and was followed by...

Franklin Bridge

My complaints: not a great singer - look how little he did sing. Rhythmically too complicated for the general public. My compliments - Unbelievable rhythmic intricacy and extremely tight. The use of electronic samples helps too. I was a little disappointed with the mix though. It sounds a lot bigger live. (Of course, by this time in the show my ears were about bleeding it was so loud.)

dot dot dot

Ok, their mix was a lot better in TV - which is fine, but... oh man, they are so loose - even playing with loops, and bad loops at that. The players are mediocre, and it feels like they don't take themselves as a band very seriously. It's one thing to be a band because you love it, and are good at it, it's another to do it for the attention. Another unfortunate slot. Right between Franklin Bridge and...

Six Wire

The most mature band (in performance skill) of the bunch. PLUS best vocal arrangements all around. These guys tore it up, and it really translated well both live and on TV. I'm hoping that it's not too boring for our current ADD TV audience. I'd love it if it came down to Six Wire, Franklin Bridge and Denver & the Mile High Orchestra.

Well that's it folks. Next week I'll give another update from the live performance and TV show combination perspective.

'night GO DMHO!.

chs

No comments: